Since the beginnings of the Animal Rights movement we have been beset by a lack of political sophistication and a tenuous grasp on our philosophical foundations.
Because animal lovers and animal rescuers were to be found among every political persuasion it became accepted that the movement was apolitical
Even the moniker Animal Rights was not clearly understood, and still is not. Although we call ourselves the Animal Rights movement, almost nothing we do involves the rights of animals.
We are animal protectionists! From rescuing cats to liberating mink; from circus demos to sabotage; from crossposting to vegan outreach, we are protecting animals, not securing them rights.
Rights for animals will eventually come when governments recognize them, decades or centuries in the future, likely after social upheaval and revolution.
And societies that will embrace Animal Rights cannot be capitalist societies. Capitalism will not abandon profits for morality. Profits are the cause of almost all cruelty in the world. And Conservatism is the political voice of capitalism.
Conservatives are the biggest enemies animals have.
Specifically, conservative politicians and the corporate political contributions that keep them in office and on the take.
Conservative politicians, at all levels of government, are openly hostile to all we do in the Animal Rights movement. Local city and county conservatives oppose no-kill shelters, bans on pet shop animal sales, mandatory (and free) spaying and neutering, trap-neuter-release; at the state levels they are advocating new horse slaughterhouses, wolf and bear hunts, ag-gag laws, opposition to bans on puppy mills, etc. At the national level, conservatives carry water for the slaughter industries, environmental polluters, loggers, coal and oil companies. They oppose the Environmental Protection Agency and the listing of endangered species! Conservative politicians are the enemies of animals, even if our conservative friends don’t know it!
But the problem is even bigger than that. Conservatives are the mouthpieces for business. And business causes more animal cruelty than anything else. Business profits drive the slaughter industries, factory farming, fur, leather, dairy, eggs, circuses, rodeos, hunting, trapping, dog and horse racing, aquatic parks, animal testing and vivisection, etc.
I am frequently challenged that liberals, leftists, and socialists are no more supportive of Animal Rights than are Conservatives. However, one cannot measure today’s liberals or socialists by a future yardstick.
Liberals of 200 years ago opposed slavery but would never have entertained the idea of racial equality. Socialists of 100 years ago supported women’s suffrage but never considered gay rights or the protection of the Environment.
We look to liberalism to challenge oppression because it has always done so. One would expect their compassionate and empathetic worldview to be much more receptive to Animal Rights in the future than Conservatives’, whose worldview is one of self-interest, private property, freedom to do what one wishes, and opposition to government regulation.
We look to socialism to reduce animal suffering because it provides no incentives to commit cruelty. Capitalism rewards animal consumption and exploitation.
• I am unaware of any other blog with the Armory’s mission of radicalizing the animal movement. I certainly hope I am not alone, and that there are similar sentiments being expressed by comrades unknown to me.
If you know of other blogs dedicated to animal rights and the defeat of capitalism, please comment with a link.
• Be sure to follow the Armory and share it with your Facebook friends and email contacts, as well as on Twitter, Google, and all other social media platforms. Our influence and effectiveness is dependent upon you!
• If you are not already subscribed to the Armory, please do so before you leave. There’s a button to Follow us in the upper right sidebar.
• Be sure to visit Armory of the Revolution’s new commissary and bookstore: The Supply Depot
You will find recommended reading on Animal Rights, revolutionary theory, politics, economics, religion, science, and atheism. There is also a section of supplies for animal liberationists, hunt saboteurs, and social revolutionaries. This is all brand new, and we will be adding lots more merchandise in the near future!
• Feel free to comment. I encourage open discussion and welcome other opinions. I moderate comments because this blog has been attacked by hunters and right wing trolls. I approve comments that are critical as well as those which agree with me. Comments that I will not tolerate are those that are spam, threatening, disrespectful, or which promote animal abuse and cruelty.