Vegans care enough about animals to alter our lifestyles. We make a commitment to animals every time we eat a meal or don clothing.
We are the most ethical people who have ever lived.
So why are we letting the animals down?
Veganism is proof of one’s values and ethics, but veganism in itself doesn’t save a single animal’s life.
We have deluded ourselves that by eating veggie burgers and tofu we are saving lives.
What we are doing is acting in accord with our values that we do not eat our friends. We will not be complicit in the torture and murder of our fellow creatures. But that is all theoretical.
All being vegan does to the animal industry is reduce the price of meat by a tiny fraction of a penny per ton, if that.
Every animal in the food system is going to die a horrible, cruel death. None will be sent to a sanctuary because people aren’t eating them. They will still be slaughtered and just become animal feed, chemicals, or fertilizer.
The only way a vegan can save an animal’s life is to raid a factory farm and rescue one.
When we convince others to become vegan, we spread the delusion. When we tell people that they will alleviate suffering and death by changing their eating habits, we are lying to them, just as we lie to ourselves.
Animal agriculture tortures and murders 6 million animals every hour, around the clock, every day, all year long. That is an entire Nazi Holocaust every 60 minutes!
And that number is growing, because the worldwide demand for animal corpses is growing. Because the human population is growing.
And while we may be recruiting a lot of vegans, it is nowhere near enough to offset the increase in the carnist population.
Worldwide, vegans are way less than 1% of the population. Even if we are 2%, or even 5% in the US, we have no impact on meat packers exporting dead creatures to Asia and Europe.
Voluntary veganism cannot work.
It cannot work mathematically.
It cannot work practically.
It must become mandatory.
We are deluding ourselves and we are letting the animals down.
Our goal must be to radically change the system. To change our goals, our tactics, our strategies and methods.
We must ban animal agriculture. While that sounds great, it isn’t possible under our capitalist economic system, our political system, or our legal system. The only way to change those systems is through political and social revolution. And that is not likely for decades.
The fact that we cannot end the Animal Holocaust in the foreseeable future does not mean we do not work toward that goal.
The task of ending animal ownership and slaughter is more formidable than was ending human slavery. And it took radical political action, riots, and war to end slavery.
We can hardly achieve an even more drastic change in society by eating tofu.
We must radicalize ourselves and the animal movement. We must become political and social radicals. We must ally with other radicals. We must join broad leftist coalitions against social injustice, against war, bigotry, exploitation. We must lock arms with other enemies of capitalism and those fighting to save our environment.
And as we fight against the capitalist system that is murdering animals, we must join to force Big Ag to improve the lives of those animal slaves doomed to die.
• I am unaware of any other blog with the Armory’s mission of radicalizing the animal movement. I certainly hope I am not alone, and that there are similar sentiments being expressed by comrades unknown to me.
If you know of other blogs dedicated to animal rights and the defeat of capitalism, please comment with a link.
• Be sure to follow the Armory and share it with your Facebook friends and email contacts, as well as on Twitter, Google, and all other social media platforms. Our influence and effectiveness is dependent upon you!
• If you are not already subscribed to the Armory, please do so before you leave.
There’s a button to Follow us in the upper right sidebar.
• Be sure to visit Armory of the Revolution’s new commissary and bookstore: The Supply Depot
You will find recommended reading on Animal Rights, revolutionary theory, politics, economics, religion, science, and atheism. There is also a section of supplies for animal liberationists, hunt saboteurs, and social revolutionaries. This is all brand new, and we will be adding lots more merchandise in the near future!
• Feel free to comment. I encourage open discussion and welcome other opinions. I moderate comments because this blog has been attacked by hunters and right wing trolls. I approve comments that are critical as well as those which agree with me. Comments that I will not tolerate are those that are spam, threatening, disrespectful, or which promote animal abuse and cruelty
Just $3 per month will allow is to advertise!