Yet they do.
I have a brother who is a fundamentalist preacher. We are poles apart on politics, religion, animal rights, etc.
I am an atheist. He is a creationist.
I am a revolutionary socialist. He is a conservative Republican.
I believe animals should have the rights to live and be to free of enslavement and abuse, he believes animals are here for our use. He thinks god has given us “dominion” over them.
I accept scientific explanations for the Earth and the universe, he thinks a sky wizard zapped it all together in 6 days, and then had to take a breather on the 7th.
Like most creationists, he thinks the world is only a few thousand years old. He believes there really was an Adam and an Eve, a Noah, and a flood.
He thinks there were dinosaurs on Noah’s Ark.
He still hasn’t explained to me how Noah managed to collect bison from North America, giant tortoises from the Galapagos Islands, komodo dragon lizards from Indonesia, tigers from India, pandas from China, kangaroos from Australia, or jaguars and tapirs from South America. But even those explanations would be simple compared to accounting for animals on the Ark that were extinct hundreds of millions of years before humans (including, I would guess, Noah) appeared on the Earth.
Creationists have a huge problem. Its called geology.
The geological record of life on Earth is found in fossilized evidence covering hundreds of millions of years. We can see the fantastic diversity that existed hundreds of millions of years ago, and the multitude of animals that existed since.
Creationists believe that all those fossilized records are either being misinterpreted or they are god’s way of testing our faith in the book of Genesis, which chronicles the creation myth.
If creationists are right, all animals alive today are unchanged from the way god made them.
Evolution is not a possibility. So we should be able to document today’s animals in the fossil record.
Slight problem: There is no fossil record of wild poodles anywhere to be found! No Jersey cows. No collies. No greyhounds, St. Bernards, chihuahuas, beagles, or pit bulls.
WTF? Why not?
Duh! Because they never lived in the wild. They were not created by god. They were created by selective breeding by mere mortals.
And, by the way, the Earth is not flat (despite suggestions that it is in the Bible).
Bottom line? My brother continues to believe his own fantasies.
He has an imaginary friend that is more real to him than is the world around him.
And I am going to Hell for not believing the fairy tale.
We may be brothers. But we are enemies. Most everything that is wrong with the world can be placed at the feet of religious lunatics and conservatives.
I used to wonder how the Civil War could have divided families and turned brother against brother.
I no longer wonder.
• I am unaware of any other blog with the Armory’s mission of radicalizing the animal movement. I certainly hope I am not alone, and that there are similar sentiments being expressed by comrades unknown to me.
If you know of other blogs dedicated to animal rights and the defeat of capitalism, please comment with a link.
• Be sure to follow the Armory and share it with your Facebook friends and email contacts, as well as on Twitter, Google, and all other social media platforms. Our influence and effectiveness is dependent upon you!
• If you are not already subscribed to the Armory, please do so before you leave.
There’s a button to Follow us in the upper right sidebar.
• Be sure to visit Armory of the Revolution’s new commissary and bookstore: The Supply Depot
You will find recommended reading on Animal Rights, revolutionary theory, politics, economics, religion, science, and atheism. There is also a section of supplies for animal liberationists, hunt saboteurs, and social revolutionaries. This is all brand new, and we will be adding lots more merchandise in the near future!
• Feel free to comment. I encourage open discussion and welcome other opinions. I moderate comments because this blog has been attacked by hunters and right wing trolls. I approve comments that are critical as well as those which agree with me. Comments that I will not tolerate are those that are spam, threatening, disrespectful, or which promote animal abuse and cruelty