We have not had a progressive president since Theodore Roosevelt, who left office over 100 years ago. He was the last of the progressive Republican presidents, the first having been Abraham Lincoln.
When Republican conservatives gained control of the party under William Howard Taft (elected in 1908), Teddy Roosevelt challenged Taft’s re-election in 1912 as the Progressive (Bull Moose) Party’s candidate. Woodrow Wilson, a Wall Street Democrat won that election.
Ever since 1909, every single president has been either a conservative Republican or a Wall Street Democrat.
Even the social gains under FDR were made in defense of Wall Street, as the very real prospect of social upheaval in the Great Depression threatened socialist revolution.
The progressive challenger to FDR in the 1930s was Huey long, the progressive governor of Louisiana.
Long was assassinated. Not since Long has there been a serious challenge to the Wall Street oligarchs.
One hundred six years of capitalist presidents owned by Wall Street.
The Republicans and the Wall Street Democrats differed on social issues, but were in total agreement when it came to capitalism and to corporate control of government.
This year is the first real opportunity to change that, as Bernie Sanders is running!
Sanders is a democratic socialist. Hillary Clinton is a Wall Street capitalist.
This election is a fight for the heart and soul of the Democratic Party.
A Sanders victory will alter the course of history for generations. The Democratic Party will be radically different than it has been under Bill Clinton and Barack Obama.
The party will oppose the death penalty, international trade agreements, private financing of campaigns, offshore and Arctic drilling, fracking, exploiting national Parks and mining on public lands, corporate welfare, subsidies to Big Ag and Big Oil, cruel wild horse roundups and horse slaughter.
It will support legalizing marijuana, taxing offshore corporate profits, truth in labeling, disclosure of GMOs, breaking up banks that are “too big to fail.”
Under Sanders, the Democrats will call for taxing industry and billionaires, universal healthcare, universal access to public colleges and universities, forgiving student debt, a livable minimum wage.
A Clinton victory will mean the exact opposite.
This is a one in a lifetime opportunity to take back the US government and American political system from the oligarchs who have controlled the presidency for over a century.
Bernie Sanders for president. The progressive of the Century!
• I am unaware of any other blog with the Armory’s mission of radicalizing the animal movement. I certainly hope I am not alone, and that there are similar sentiments being expressed by comrades unknown to me.
If you know of other blogs dedicated to animal rights and the defeat of capitalism, please comment with a link.
• Be sure to follow the Armory and share it with your Facebook friends and email contacts, as well as on Twitter, Google, and all other social media platforms. Our influence and effectiveness is dependent upon you!
• If you are not already subscribed to the Armory, please do so before you leave.
There’s a button to Follow us in the upper right sidebar.
• Be sure to visit Armory of the Revolution’s new commissary and bookstore: The Supply Depot
You will find recommended reading on Animal Rights, revolutionary theory, politics, economics, religion, science, and atheism. There is also a section of supplies for animal liberationists, hunt saboteurs, and social revolutionaries. This is all brand new, and we will be adding lots more merchandise in the near future!
• Feel free to comment. I encourage open discussion and welcome other opinions. I moderate comments because this blog has been attacked by hunters and right wing trolls. I approve comments that are critical as well as those which agree with me. Comments that I will not tolerate are those that are spam, threatening, disrespectful, or which promote animal abuse and cruelty.