Their rationale for opposing abortion includes concerns that fetuses feel pain. A concern they ignore when animals are killed.
Conversely, most who oppose animal slaughter are not impressed with assertions that zygotes are worthy of our protection but sentient animals are not.
As a feminist I have always advocated for a woman’s right to choose, and viewed any attempts to regulate abortion as an outrageous government intervention into her uterus.
As an animal rights advocate I oppose the slaughter of animals, and would ban such killing by law.
I therefore find myself in the illogical position of favoring government policing of people’s stomachs but opposing policing of vaginas.
If they were honest with themselves, Pro Life advocates would see the illogical position they hold: That the Pro Life movement has little to do with being in favor of life. It is only in favor human life, and even then, only for as long as it still in the womb.
Once born, the Pro Life movement abandons the idea of protecting human life, leaving newborns and older to have to fend for themselves.
The sheer hypocrisy of Pro Life advocates also opposing universal healthcare, incarceration of the ill, favoring war, supporting munitions and gun manufacturers, and supporting the death penalty, borders on some kind of mass schizophrenia.
We vegans are equally guilty of turning a blind eye to our own inconsistent positions. If we value all sentient life, and the test of sentience is “can they suffer?”, then we should oppose abortion where the fetus can feel pain.
Feeling pain requires a developed nervous system.
I support aborting both people and animals to reduce populations. Spaying pregnant dogs and aborting zygotes in women is far preferable to increases in the number of unwanted dogs and unwanted children.
As animal rights activists, our complaint about the Pro Life movement is that it really isn’t pro life.
I am vegan. The only pro life movement! I oppose any abortion causing pain to any fetus, human or animal. I support universal healthcare, a ban on murdering any animal, ending the death penalty, stopping war, and holding police accountable for murdering our black brothers and sisters.
One thing is abundantly clear: if one isn’t vegan one cannot claim to be Pro Life.
The only people who are pro life are those who actually value all sentient life. To be Pro Life one must also be vegan. One must also value human life after it is born. One must support policies, programs, politicians, and political parties that seek to protect all life. One must place life above profits, above petty political issues, above religious dogma, bigotry, xenophobia, and speciesism.
If you aren’t vegan, STFU about abortion.
• I am unaware of any other blog with the Armory’s mission of radicalizing the animal movement. I certainly hope I am not alone, and that there are similar sentiments being expressed by comrades unknown to me.
If you know of other blogs dedicated to animal rights and the defeat of capitalism, please comment with a link.
• Be sure to follow the Armory and share it with your Facebook friends and email contacts, as well as on Twitter, Google, and all other social media platforms. Our influence and effectiveness is dependent upon you!
• If you are not already subscribed to the Armory, please do so before you leave.
There’s a button to Follow us in the upper right sidebar.
• Be sure to visit Armory of the Revolution’s new commissary and bookstore: The Supply Depot
You will find recommended reading on Animal Rights, revolutionary theory, politics, economics, religion, science, and atheism. There is also a section of supplies for animal liberationists, hunt saboteurs, and social revolutionaries. This is all brand new, and we will be adding lots more merchandise in the near future!
• Feel free to comment. I encourage open discussion and welcome other opinions. I moderate comments because this blog has been attacked by hunters and right wing trolls. I approve comments that are critical as well as those which agree with me. Comments that I will not tolerate are those that are spam, threatening, disrespectful, or which promote animal abuse and cruelty.