Even if elected president, there is absolutely no chance whatsoever that Donald Trump will be able to implement plans to build a border wall or to deport 11 million undocumented aliens.
Just as there is no possibility of a President Sanders getting Medicare For All implemented.
To enact sweeping legislative agendas requires control of Congress. And not just a numerical majority by party, but a majority of pro-administration votes.
Not going to happen during the next presidential term. Impossible to happen. No matter whom is president.
The Republicans will continue to control the House of Representatives, and the Democrats will win back the US Senate.
No matter whom is president there will be political and legislative gridlock.
Republicans control the House because they were successful in winning enough statehouses to control redistricting after the 2010 Census. The next opportunity to redistrict will be after the 2020 Census. Control of the House of Representatives through 2030 will depend on state legislative races in 2018 and 2020.
Democrats must focus on how to best win state legislatures and governors’ offices.
Consider: If the president is Hillary Clinton in 2018 and 2020, Democrats will likely be defending an unpopular and ineffective president with negligible political coattails. Republican gains are almost guaranteed.
If Donald Trump, or any Republican, is the incumbent, he will be just as unpopular and ineffective, and the political fallout would be dramatic. We would see Democratic gains at the state levels, greatly enhancing the chances of preventing Republican gerrymandering in 2020.
The irony of the 2016 election cycle is that each party would be better off were the other party to win the White House. The long term consequences are submerged in personalities, myopia, and political ambitions.
An interesting analysis is the possibilities with a Sanders’ presidency. While Bernie would likely accomplish no more than would Hillary, the dynamics of the political revolution which will have elected him will continue to unfold. If Sanders is elected, it will be the result of unprecedented political participation and voter involvement. Sanders will continue his fight against Wall Street and the oligarchy by confronting Congress and reaching beyond them to the people who elect them. Most Members accept campaign bribes and vote in their donors’ interests rather than in the interests of their constituents. Sanders would be able to ride the conflict into 2018 and 2020, growing the Democratic base and energizing the progressives in the party.
The best case scenario for Democrats would be a Sanders political revolution.
Should Bernie fail to win the nomination, a Clinton presidency is the least attractive option if Democrats wish to control the House after 2020.
• I am unaware of any other blog with the Armory’s mission of radicalizing the animal movement. I certainly hope I am not alone, and that there are similar sentiments being expressed by comrades unknown to me.
If you know of other blogs dedicated to animal rights and the defeat of capitalism, please comment with a link.
• Be sure to follow the Armory and share it with your Facebook friends and email contacts, as well as on Twitter, Google, and all other social media platforms. Our influence and effectiveness is dependent upon you!
• If you are not already subscribed to the Armory, please do so before you leave.
There’s a button to Follow us in the upper right sidebar.
• Be sure to visit Armory of the Revolution’s new commissary and bookstore: The Supply Depot
You will find recommended reading on Animal Rights, revolutionary theory, politics, economics, religion, science, and atheism. There is also a section of supplies for animal liberationists, hunt saboteurs, and social revolutionaries. This is all brand new, and we will be adding lots more merchandise in the near future!
• Feel free to comment. I encourage open discussion and welcome other opinions. I moderate comments because this blog has been attacked by hunters and right wing trolls. I approve comments that are critical as well as those which agree with me. Comments that I will not tolerate are those that are spam, threatening, disrespectful, or which promote animal abuse and cruelty