Many black activists are invested in the status quo. Their positions in Congress, in their communities, and their influence is dependent upon racial division, strife, political battles, and opposition to the interests of black Americans.
So long as African Americans are exploited, underemployed, shot in the streets, and thrown in jail, black leaders in the establishment will continue to be employed and re-elected.
Geriatric black leaders have enjoyed the accolades and praise of their brother and sisters for decades, and are loathe to leave the limelight in favor of younger, brasher, and more radical young activists poised to become the leaders after this election cycle.
There are other courageous black leaders who are unafraid of radical change, and welcome the political revolution that Bernie Sanders is advocating.
African Americans are all too slowly making gains in society. Impediments to equality are ubiquitous in America. Even the most liberal Americans are part and parcel of the problem. The hatred and bigotry of conservative Americans is deafening to black ears.
Only the political left can adequately address institutional racism and economic inequality in America. Only a federal government lead by true progressives would be able to require accountability of local police departments and to prosecute officers who commit crimes against people of color. And only a candidate who is not beholden to the private prison industry would be able to stand against special interests which make billions on the incarceration of Americans, most of whom in prisons are black and Hispanic.
One need look no further than a candidate’s positions on the death penalty and the legalization of marijuana to determine who would act in the best interests of African Americans, and other people of color.
Native Americans, Hispanics, and African Americans are disproportionately accosted, arrested, and incarcerated for minor drug offenses, and are disproportionately sitting on death rows in prisons across the country.
I hope my black brothers and sisters will reject the self-serving political hacks who claim to represent them, and will join Bernie Sanders in triggering a political revolution in America.
This article was published here a couple of days ago under the title We Must Step Outside Our Species. Because of a WordPress glitch it was not able to be shared properly.
• I am unaware of any other blog with the Armory’s mission of radicalizing the animal movement. I certainly hope I am not alone, and that there are similar sentiments being expressed by comrades unknown to me.
If you know of other blogs dedicated to animal rights and the defeat of capitalism, please comment with a link.
• Be sure to follow the Armory and share it with your Facebook friends and email contacts, as well as on Twitter, Google, and all other social media platforms. Our influence and effectiveness is dependent upon you!
• If you are not already subscribed to the Armory, please do so before you leave.
There’s a button to Follow us in the upper right sidebar.
• Be sure to visit Armory of the Revolution’s new commissary and bookstore: The Supply Depot
You will find recommended reading on Animal Rights, revolutionary theory, politics, economics, religion, science, and atheism. There is also a section of supplies for animal liberationists, hunt saboteurs, and social revolutionaries. This is all brand new, and we will be adding lots more merchandise in the near future!
• Feel free to comment. I encourage open discussion and welcome other opinions. I moderate comments because this blog has been attacked by hunters and right wing trolls. I approve comments that are critical as well as those which agree with me. Comments that I will not tolerate are those that are spam, threatening, disrespectful, or which promote animal abuse and cruelty.