Instead of posting status updates on Facebook, I am now posting each apothegm, thought, observation, and witticism, here, as a Thought Of The Day.
Status updates on Facebook disappear into the ether and cannot be relocated by readers.
Before you leave, please take a moment to follow this blog by clicking on Follow in the upper right sidebar.
Readers are welcome to contribute thoughts, apothegms, observations, and witticisms. Attribution will be given for any we publish. Send an email to email@example.com with the subject Submission
I often use the statistic that all of the dogs and cats rescued over the past 50 years is fewer than the number of animals who will be murdered in slaughterhouses in the next 8 hours.
For those curious about the figures, I explain them as follows:
The number of dogs and cats rescued is estimated on the high side. Statistics reflecting the number murdered in shelters in the US has dropped from some 400,000 per year fifty years ago to about 40,000 per year today give us a rough estimate that rescuers have saved some 18,000,000 dogs and cats.
Extrapolating those numbers to Australia, the UK, western Europe, Canada, etc, suggests a similar achievement at best. Given that the rest of the world has done very little, a very generous guesstimate of 14,000,000 would bring the total number saved to 50 million. The actual figure is quite likely very well below that number.
Upwards of 60 thousand million (60 Billion) animals have their throats cut in slaughterhouses annually.
Which equals 1.153 billion animals murdered per week (eleven hundred fifty three million).
Which equals 165 million murdered per day!
Almost seven million per hour!
More than 50 million will die in the next 8 hours. More than the number of dogs and cats saved by the entire animal movement in the past 50 years.
• I am unaware of any other blog with the Armory’s mission of radicalizing the animal movement. I certainly hope I am not alone, and that there are similar sentiments being expressed by comrades unknown to me.
If you know of other blogs dedicated to animal rights and the defeat of capitalism, please comment with a link.
• Be sure to follow the Armory and share it with your Facebook friends and email contacts, as well as on Twitter, Google, and all other social media platforms. Our influence and effectiveness is dependent upon you!
• If you are not already subscribed to the Armory, please do so before you leave.
There’s a button to Follow us in the upper right sidebar.
• Be sure to visit Armory of the Revolution’s new commissary and bookstore: The Supply Depot
You will find recommended reading on Animal Rights, revolutionary theory, politics, economics, religion, science, and atheism. There is also a section of supplies for animal liberationists, hunt saboteurs, and social revolutionaries. This is all brand new, and we will be adding lots more merchandise in the near future!
• Feel free to comment. I encourage open discussion and welcome other opinions. I moderate comments because this blog has been attacked by hunters and right wing trolls. I approve comments that are critical as well as those which agree with me. Comments that I will not tolerate are those that are spam, threatening, disrespectful, or which promote animal abuse and cruelty.