Central to the idea of Animal Rights is the notion that animals have as much right to live as do humans. It follows that animals have as much right to live free of enslavement, exploitation, and murder as do humans.
Most people who support Animal Rights have and love companion animals, dogs, cats, birds, etc, and react negatively to the idea of banning animal ownership.
I support the abolition of animal ownership. People have no more right to own an animal than they have to own a human. But it is unrealistic to think that companion animals would ever cease to be part of human society.
The very best we could hope for would be a change in legal status from animals becoming wards rather than property and pet owners becoming their conservators.
Conservatorships require that the conservators act in the best interests of their wards. It is the relationship that exists between parent and child. As a conservator, one cannot decide to euthanize an inconvenient child or an animal. The conservator has a legally enforceable duty to provide the requirements of life to his/her ward, and is barred from being abusive, cruel, exploitive or negligent in caring for the ward.
It is a basic tenet of Animal Rights that all animals have the same right to live. I do not believe people should own or be conservators for carnivores. I believe it is morally repugnant to murder some animals to feed other ones. Cats, ferrets, snakes, raptors, etc, should not be forced to live in confinement for that reason alone. The same objection can be made to carnivores in zoos, without even reaching the morality of their enslavement.
• I am unaware of any other blog with the Armory’s mission of radicalizing the animal movement. I certainly hope I am not alone, and that there are similar sentiments being expressed by comrades unknown to me.
If you know of other blogs dedicated to animal rights and the defeat of capitalism, please comment with a link.
• Be sure to follow the Armory and share it with your Facebook friends and email contacts, as well as on Twitter, Google, and all other social media platforms. Our influence and effectiveness is dependent upon you!
• If you are not already subscribed to the Armory, please do so before you leave.
There’s a button to Follow us in the upper right sidebar.
• Be sure to visit Armory of the Revolution’s new commissary and bookstore: The Supply Depot
You will find recommended reading on Animal Rights, revolutionary theory, politics, economics, religion, science, and atheism. There is also a section of supplies for animal liberationists, hunt saboteurs, and social revolutionaries. This is all brand new, and we will be adding lots more merchandise in the near future!
• Feel free to comment. I encourage open discussion and welcome other opinions. I moderate comments because this blog has been attacked by hunters and right wing trolls. I approve comments that are critical as well as those which agree with me. Comments that I will not tolerate are those that are spam, threatening, disrespectful, or which promote animal abuse and cruelty