Halal slaughter is ugly and inhumane and should be outlawed. However, Islam is not the only religion that has a pattern of animal abuse. There is Jewish kosher killing and the Kaporos torture of chickens. There is Santeria sacrifice as well as the many festivals of the saints in traditional Catholic countries where animals are sadistically tortured. It is time for Religion to question the contradictions underlying its myths and rituals and condemn brutal practices, such as halal, that have no place in the 21st century.
People should be asking why would a loving and righteous God, as many believe their deity to be, demand such human savagery and animal suffering in His worship. Is it because, contrary to the Biblical version, it is more likely that “man” created God in his own bloodthirsty image instead of the other way around? Is that the real Original Sin?
We should be less reverential about religion and less politically correct in dealing with it? Religious freedom should have restrictions and limitations like the first and second amendments have for freedom of speech and for the ownership and use of guns. I suggest the following: Religious freedom should end where animal suffering and death begin.
But if we take the abuse of animals by Religion out of the mix, we are still left with Big Ag, Science, Entertainment, and Fashion, etc., and their animal abuse.
We would still have slaughterhouses with crippled animals beaten to death because they cannot move fast enough through the slaughter line, and others with their eyes knocked out and bones broken by misplaced blows, and pigs sent to the scalding tanks before they are dead. We would still have hens stacked in endless rows in tiny cages and male chickens thrown alive into macerators and newborn male calves torn from their mothers and turned into veal.
We would still have rabbits blinded by chemical testing and other animals poisoned and mutilated for research.
We would still have horses in dragged out of rodeo arenas with broken backs and legs and bull tortured in the ring.
We would still have minks and other animals trapped or electrocuted for fur coats.
And we would still have deer and elk filled with arrows every fall.
So how is it that in every time and in every culture human beings have tortured and killed other animals? Why is one human enterprise after another built upon the suffering and death of the creatures we share this planet with? Where does the source of all this evil ultimately lie?
Maybe the answer is in the simple wisdom of Pogo: “We have met the enemy and he is us.”
Or in the conclusion of Farley Mowat: “I don’t like saying this, but I think we’re a bad species and the sooner we get off the planet, the better.”
• I am unaware of any other blog with the Armory’s mission of radicalizing the animal movement. I certainly hope I am not alone, and that there are similar sentiments being expressed by comrades unknown to me.
If you know of other blogs dedicated to animal rights and the defeat of capitalism, please comment with a link.
• Be sure to follow the Armory and share it with your Facebook friends and email contacts, as well as on Twitter, Google, and all other social media platforms. Our influence and effectiveness is dependent upon you!
• If you are not already subscribed to the Armory, please do so before you leave.
There’s a button to Follow us in the upper right sidebar.
• Be sure to visit Armory of the Revolution’s new commissary and bookstore: The Supply Depot
You will find recommended reading on Animal Rights, revolutionary theory, politics, economics, religion, science, and atheism. There is also a section of supplies for animal liberationists, hunt saboteurs, and social revolutionaries. This is all brand new, and we will be adding lots more merchandise in the near future!
• Feel free to comment. I encourage open discussion and welcome other opinions. I moderate comments because this blog has been attacked by hunters and right wing trolls. I approve comments that are critical as well as those which agree with me. Comments that I will not tolerate are those that are spam, threatening, disrespectful, or which promote animal abuse and cruelty.