In all of American history there has never been a third party candidate elected to the presidency. The closest a third party ever came to capturing the White House was in 1912, when Teddy Roosevelt led the Bull Moose (Progressive) party. Even though he was a former president and a national hero, he was unable to break the stranglehold of the two party system.
Third parties only become major parties when one the the major parties ceases to exist, as was the case when the Republicans were created out of the Whigs. The structure of the American political system makes it impossible for a third party candidate to win the presidency, as an absolute majority of electoral votes must be won or the race is thrown into the House of Representatives. There, each state gets one vote, decided by the majority of each state’s delegation of Members of Congress.
For a third party to succeed, it would have to already have a substantial congressional presence.
Growing the Greens should be the goal of this election cycle, not winning the White House.
I urge progressives to vote Trump in swing states and Jill everywhere else.
The Democrats may implode and make way for the Greens, the Republicans and Democrats may effectively merge into right of center party. The Democrats may return to the progressive party it was under Roosevelt and Stevenson.
But whatever happens, progressives will be aided by a Trump presidency, and they will be thwarted by a Hillary one.
• I am unaware of any other blog with the Armory’s mission of radicalizing the animal movement. I certainly hope I am not alone, and that there are similar sentiments being expressed by comrades unknown to me.
If you know of other blogs dedicated to animal rights and the defeat of capitalism, please comment with a link.
• Be sure to follow the Armory and share it with your Facebook friends and email contacts, as well as on Twitter, Google, and all other social media platforms. Our influence and effectiveness is dependent upon you!
• If you are not already subscribed to the Armory, please do so before you leave.
There’s a button to Follow us in the upper right sidebar.
• Be sure to visit Armory of the Revolution’s new commissary and bookstore: The Supply Depot
You will find recommended reading on Animal Rights, revolutionary theory, politics, economics, religion, science, and atheism. There is also a section of supplies for animal liberationists, hunt saboteurs, and social revolutionaries. This is all brand new, and we will be adding lots more merchandise in the near future!
• Feel free to comment. I encourage open discussion and welcome other opinions. I moderate comments because this blog has been attacked by hunters and right wing trolls. I approve comments that are critical as well as those which agree with me. Comments that I will not tolerate are those that are spam, threatening, disrespectful, or which promote animal abuse and cruelty