Animals should not be owned for the same reasons people should not be owned. People are not property. Neither are animals.
Banning the ownership of animals would eliminate 99% of the horrors humans inflict upon animals. If animals were not owned, they could not be enslaved or exploited. The Animal Holocaust is the direct result of animal ownership. If people could not own cattle, lambs, pigs, and chickens, there would be no factory farms, no feedlots, no slaughterhouses.
I am constantly asked about pets. If we ban ownership how would people still be able to have companion animals?
Companion animals would be the subjects of conservatorships. Just like human children or mentally incompetent people are cared for. We don’t own children, we are their guardians. The same principle would apply to animals. They would be our charges, and we would be responsible to act in their best interests. That means we could do no harm to them. We could not exploit them. We would be held criminally responsible for hurting them.
Animals in the wild would not benefit from conservatorships, and to protect them would require making it illegal to harm any wild creature.
These reforms will never happen under capitalism. Capitalism values profits over the victims of animal cruelty. Capitalism considers all animals to be expendable and renewable commodities.
Only by eliminating capitalism will animals ever be free of abuse, torture, and murder.
• I am unaware of any other blog with the Armory’s mission of radicalizing the animal movement. I certainly hope I am not alone, and that there are similar sentiments being expressed by comrades unknown to me.
If you know of other blogs dedicated to animal rights and the defeat of capitalism, please comment with a link.
• Be sure to follow the Armory and share it with your Facebook friends and email contacts, as well as on Twitter, Google, and all other social media platforms. Our influence and effectiveness is dependent upon you!
• If you are not already subscribed to the Armory, please do so before you leave.
There’s a button to Follow us in the upper right sidebar.
• Be sure to visit Armory of the Revolution’s new commissary and bookstore: The Supply Depot
You will find recommended reading on Animal Rights, revolutionary theory, politics, economics, religion, science, and atheism. There is also a section of supplies for animal liberationists, hunt saboteurs, and social revolutionaries. This is all brand new, and we will be adding lots more merchandise in the near future!
• Feel free to comment. I encourage open discussion and welcome other opinions. I moderate comments because this blog has been attacked by hunters and right wing trolls. I approve comments that are critical as well as those which agree with me. Comments that I will not tolerate are those that are spam, threatening, disrespectful, or which promote animal abuse and cruelty