Taking over the Democratic party, while a Herculean task, is actually the only possible path for progressives. Even progressives wanting a third party would be best served by taking the fight to the Democratic primaries and voting against every Hillbot and hack in office. If we cannot defeat them in primaries, we need to defeat them in the generals.
Such political internecine warfare would have the result of either giving progressives control of the party or so crippling the Democrats that they would cease to be a viable national party.
The result will be either a progressive Democratic party or a dead one.
Either result will serve a progressive agenda. If the Democrats can be cured, progressives will nominate and elect the first progressive president in over a century.
If the Democratic party is mortally wounded in the fight, a new, progressive SECOND party will fill the vaccuum.
Any third party effort is doomed so long as the Democrats remain a viable party. It would take billions upon billions of dollars to build and brand a new national party. If ever a third party candidate should have succeeded, it was Jill last year. But her pathetic performance punctuated the futility of third party candidacies.
For a third party to succeed it must displace an extant national party as the Republicans displaced the Whigs in the 1850s.
Many progressives fled the party in protest of the outrageous treatment Bernie and his progressives were subjected to by corporate Democrats and the DNC. The problem with leaving the party in protest was to leave the establishment in command of the ship.
We must commandeer the ship or sink it.
Neither can be accomplished by jumping overboard.
• I am unaware of any other blog with the Armory’s mission of radicalizing the animal movement. I certainly hope I am not alone, and that there are similar sentiments being expressed by comrades unknown to me.
If you know of other blogs dedicated to animal rights and the defeat of capitalism, please comment with a link.
• Be sure to follow the Armory and share it with your Facebook friends and email contacts, as well as on Twitter, Google, and all other social media platforms. Our influence and effectiveness is dependent upon you!
• If you are not already subscribed to the Armory, please do so before you leave.
There’s a button to Follow us in the upper right sidebar.
• Be sure to visit Armory of the Revolution’s new commissary and bookstore: The Supply Depot
You will find recommended reading on Animal Rights, revolutionary theory, politics, economics, religion, science, and atheism. There is also a section of supplies for animal liberationists, hunt saboteurs, and social revolutionaries. This is all brand new, and we will be adding lots more merchandise in the near future!
• Feel free to comment. I encourage open discussion and welcome other opinions. I moderate comments because this blog has been attacked by hunters and right wing trolls. I approve comments that are critical as well as those which agree with me. Comments that I will not tolerate are those that are spam, threatening, disrespectful, or which promote animal abuse and cruelty