A disheartening, but realistic, assessment of the human condition by Armory contributor Marcia Mueller. Human extinction, or at the very least, massive depopulation, may be the only hope for animals.
Vengeance Is Mine, Saith We Animal Rights Advocates
by Marcia Mueller
Animal advocates have been fighting Law and Religion for at least two centuries, and the number of the victims has grown. We can’t rely on the forces that brought an end or improvement in the human evils listed above. Nonhumans are tortured and sacrificed in ways as bad as anything the witches suffered. But waning superstition, along with the social upheavals involved, finally brought the witch trials to an end. We won’t be seeing a war that in any way helps animals as the Civil War played a part ending slavery and World War II ended The Holocaust. In fact, all through history animals were taken to war, where they suffering and died, although they were innocent of any of the evils that led to the conflicts. So that leaves focusing on the “isms” and their abolition as possible template for helping animals. Social movements and protests, often backed by churches, helped battle sexism and racism. Now animal advocates talk about the end of speciesism as the goal for activity.
But some do not see enough of a parallel between the prejudice that harmed people and that which supports animal abuse. For example, Dale Peterson who has written extensively on conservation and particularly of the bushmeat trade and its relationship to growing populations and industrialization, does not believe speciesism and sexism and racism are similar enough. He says the following: “But the analogy fails to recognize the depth of our own species narcissism. We can overcome racism and sexism because we already possess all the moral and emotional equipment to treat other members of our own species with greater fairness and kindness. . . . Can we overcome this speciesism with the same level of coordination or commitment? I think not.” If Peterson is right, then we can’t rely on overcoming speciesism to create a humane world.
That seems to leave individuals and small groups to act, whether direct action, vigilantism, guerilla warfare, or other forms of damage to harm at least some abusers. Activists can act out their own moral convictions and values, which is better than giving up and doing nothing. But it will not be in the numbers required to stop the suffering and death of the billions of animals in slaughterhouses or all those victims of demented or simply good-for-nothing human beings who are battering, drowning, and setting fire to those who can’t fight back. It doesn’t seem possible that so much harm and destruction can continue with so few fighting to stop it. If anything in the universe cries out for vengeance, it is humanity’s merciless trajectory. But there is no end in sight.
• I am unaware of any other blog with the Armory’s mission of radicalizing the animal movement. I certainly hope I am not alone, and that there are similar sentiments being expressed by comrades unknown to me.
If you know of other blogs dedicated to animal rights and the defeat of capitalism, please comment with a link.
• Be sure to follow the Armory and share it with your Facebook friends and email contacts, as well as on Twitter, Google, and all other social media platforms. Our influence and effectiveness is dependent upon you!
• If you are not already subscribed to the Armory, please do so before you leave.
There’s a button to Follow us in the upper right sidebar.
• Be sure to visit Armory of the Revolution’s new commissary and bookstore: The Supply Depot
You will find recommended reading on Animal Rights, revolutionary theory, politics, economics, religion, science, and atheism. There is also a section of supplies for animal liberationists, hunt saboteurs, and social revolutionaries. This is all brand new, and we will be adding lots more merchandise in the near future!
• Feel free to comment. I encourage open discussion and welcome other opinions. I moderate comments because this blog has been attacked by hunters and right wing trolls. I approve comments that are critical as well as those which agree with me. Comments that I will not tolerate are those that are spam, threatening, disrespectful, or which promote animal abuse and cruelty.