A brilliant observation by Armory cotributor George Martin.
It’s the Food Chain (unless some one wants to eat us!)
by George Martin
To those who justify killing and eating animals by saying, “It’s the food chain”: my question to you is as follows…
Are you a part of this food chain?
If you answered “yes”:
Then by your own logic, there would be nothing morally wrong with someone killing and eating you, and then justifying it by using your argument of “It’s the food chain”. After all, if you’re a part of this system, you don’t get to be exempt from the rules—doesn’t work that way, I’m afraid. You can’t just be part of a system which you’re not even willing to comply with. And if you’re off-limits, then the animals are off-limits too. If your argument is, “Yeah but that’s cannibalism”: other species regularly cannibalise each other as part of the food chain, e.g. black widows—so a human killing and eating you is behaving no differently from other members of the very system you claim to be part of. And appeals to legality (e.g. “But that’s illegal”) are not sufficient either—the laws of the food chain are the laws of nature, not the laws we abide by in human society. Also, excusing yourself from these rules by saying “But I’m top of the food chain” is what’s know as a ‘might makes right’ fallacy, i.e. “I am in a position of power over the victim; therefore, it is okay for me to do what I want to them”—this is no different from a domestic abuser arguing that it is okay to beat his wife because men have evolved to be stronger than women.
If you answered “no”:
Then your argument of “It’s the food chain” is not relevant, and it begs the question as to why you even bothered using this justification in the first place.
• I am unaware of any other blog with the Armory’s mission of radicalizing the animal movement. I certainly hope I am not alone, and that there are similar sentiments being expressed by comrades unknown to me.
If you know of other blogs dedicated to animal rights and the defeat of capitalism, please comment with a link.
• Be sure to follow the Armory and share it with your Facebook friends and email contacts, as well as on Twitter, Google, and all other social media platforms. Our influence and effectiveness is dependent upon you!
• If you are not already subscribed to the Armory, please do so before you leave.
There’s a button to Follow us in the upper right sidebar.
• Be sure to visit Armory of the Revolution’s new commissary and bookstore: The Supply Depot
You will find recommended reading on Animal Rights, revolutionary theory, politics, economics, religion, science, and atheism. There is also a section of supplies for animal liberationists, hunt saboteurs, and social revolutionaries. This is all brand new, and we will be adding lots more merchandise in the near future!
• Feel free to comment. I encourage open discussion and welcome other opinions. I moderate comments because this blog has been attacked by hunters and right wing trolls. I approve comments that are critical as well as those which agree with me. Comments that I will not tolerate are those that are spam, threatening, disrespectful, or which promote animal abuse and cruelty