Wayne Pacelle heads the Humane Society of the United States.
Wayne Pacelle recently interviewed Barack Obama and published the interview on his blog, Humane Nation. Click here to read Wayne’s article
It has been seen as an indication of just how important HSUS has become, and how much influence animal activists are having. We in the animal movement have long been working to gain the attention of politicians. To have the President of the US direct his attention to the movement is indeed gratifying.
But in this instance, Barack Obama was trying to influence the animal movement. He did not address any of the concerns the movement has about US policies involving animals. He made the entire interview a propaganda session to sell the TPP to Wayne and the rest of us.
Barack Obama is committed to pushing the Tran Pacific Partnership through Congress. His opposition has primarily been the left wing of his own party, and a smattering of renegade Republicans. Most support for the TPP comes from Republicans and Wall Street Democrats, politicians in bed with the lobbyists who wrote the TPP and the multinational corporations which will make billions if the TPP is adopted.
So the task at hand is to convince liberals and progressives to stop opposing the TPP.
HSUS is very influential with animal activists and political liberals and progressives.
President Obama summoned Wayne Pacelle to the White House to put a convincing spin on the Trans Pacific Partnership.
Obama went to great lengths to describe how the TPP would improve the plights of endangered species and would provide procedures to force countries to end the trade in threatened wildlife and animal parts.
And it sounded very convincing!
Maybe we should all get aboard the TPP?
For any of those provisions to be invoked would require the resolve of the United States to intervene on behalf of animals.
The US doesn’t even intervene on behalf of its own animals. The US engages in horrific roundups of wild Mustangs, kills wildlife for cattle ranchers, kills and maims whales and dolphins for the Navy, subsidizes the torture and deaths of millions of laboratory and testing animals, permits the murders of wolves, removes protections from endangered species, opens public lands to trophy hunters, etc.
Obama’s concerns for endangered wildlife in other countries rings hollow.
And the TPP would make it easier for businesses to engage in animal slaughter and make animal corpses cheaper to produce and more profitable to sell. The TPP will encourage live export. It will override such dismal anti cruelty laws as currently exist, and make it impossible for the US to ban the import meat no matter how horribly and cruelly it was produced.
Wayne Pacelle’s interview was a coup for the animal movement. We must not let it become a tool of the multinational corporations who pull Obama’s strings.
We need to reject the TPP and ignore the propaganda.
Doing so will help millions of animals trapped in the food system. And it will exponentially grow the influence of the animal movement.
The next time a president summons Wayne Pacelle, maybe the president will listen to Wayne Pacelle.
• I am unaware of any other blog with the Armory’s mission of radicalizing the animal movement. I certainly hope I am not alone, and that there are similar sentiments being expressed by comrades unknown to me.
If you know of other blogs dedicated to animal rights and the defeat of capitalism, please comment with a link.
• Be sure to follow the Armory and share it with your Facebook friends and email contacts, as well as on Twitter, Google, and all other social media platforms. Our influence and effectiveness is dependent upon you!
• If you are not already subscribed to the Armory, please do so before you leave.
There’s a button to Follow us in the upper right sidebar.
• Be sure to visit Armory of the Revolution’s new commissary and bookstore: The Supply Depot
You will find recommended reading on Animal Rights, revolutionary theory, politics, economics, religion, science, and atheism. There is also a section of supplies for animal liberationists, hunt saboteurs, and social revolutionaries. This is all brand new, and we will be adding lots more merchandise in the near future!
• Feel free to comment. I encourage open discussion and welcome other opinions. I moderate comments because this blog has been attacked by hunters and right wing trolls. I approve comments that are critical as well as those which agree with me. Comments that I will not tolerate are those that are spam, threatening, disrespectful, or which promote animal abuse and cruelty.