African Americans with a history of slavery become insulted when exploited and abused animals are compared to slaves. Jews whose family experienced the Holocaust are outraged when factory farms are compared to death camps.
Women, who point to a long history of sexist oppression, resent it when the forced artificial insemination of cows is referred to as rape. In her essay, “Sexist Words, Speciesist Roots,” Joan Dunayer notes, “when a woman responds to mistreatment by protesting ‘I’m a human being!’ or ‘I want to be treated with respect, not like some animal,’ what is she suggesting about the acceptable ways of treating other animals?” She is suggesting that what would be intolerable treatment of a human being is acceptable treatment for beings deemed inferior. She is also demonstrating a total lack of empathy.
When human beings lament their own history of suffering and then distance themselves from or participate in the abuse and exploitation of nonhuman animals, we see the worst face of speciesism.
And every time the victims become the bullies, they disgrace themselves and diminish their credibility.
There are none so oppressed as animals. Jews, blacks, women, disabled, LGBTs, etc, have nothing on the oppression that animals endure. I would argue that any group wishing to bitch about their own plight should first demonstrate that they are vegan. To deserve sympathy for their own oppression they should be free of oppressing others, including animals.
Members of an oppressed group who oppress animals are morally as bankrupt as are their oppressors.
The Nazi Holocaust was horrific, its cruelty unfathomable. Six million Jews were exterminated over several years. It’s scope continues to daunt us.
But the Animal Holocaust takes as many lives as did Hitler EVERY HOUR OF EVERY DAY.
African Americans were enslaved in the US for almost 400 years. Even with emancipation and civil rights, blacks are shot down in the streets and incarcerated out of proportion to their population. Over those almost 400 years, millions of blacks were enslaved. To put that into modern perspective, about the same number of animals are born into slavery EVERY SIXTY MINUTES.
Women were legally the property of their husbands under the Common Law. One hundred and fifty years after the founding of our republic, women were finally granted the right to vote. Women are still exploited by the system, earning less per hour than men, and having to fight for reproductive rights against a patriarchal society which attempts to control them. But for all the outrage about workplace discrimination, sexual harassment, domestic violence, rape, and being forced to carry unwanted infants to term, most women are complicit in the rape, infanticide, and enslavement of the females of other species.
The LGBT worker who loses his job because bigots are free to fire those they do not like, thinks nothing of the animal that lost its life so he could eat dinner or wear leather.
There is a hierarchy of oppression in which the oppressed in turn oppress others.
And at the bottom of that hierarchy are the animals that are oppressed by almost everyone.
• I am unaware of any other blog with the Armory’s mission of radicalizing the animal movement. I certainly hope I am not alone, and that there are similar sentiments being expressed by comrades unknown to me.
If you know of other blogs dedicated to animal rights and the defeat of capitalism, please comment with a link.
• Be sure to follow the Armory and share it with your Facebook friends and email contacts, as well as on Twitter, Google, and all other social media platforms. Our influence and effectiveness is dependent upon you!
• If you are not already subscribed to the Armory, please do so before you leave.
There’s a button to Follow us in the upper right sidebar.
• Be sure to visit Armory of the Revolution’s new commissary and bookstore: The Supply Depot
You will find recommended reading on Animal Rights, revolutionary theory, politics, economics, religion, science, and atheism. There is also a section of supplies for animal liberationists, hunt saboteurs, and social revolutionaries. This is all brand new, and we will be adding lots more merchandise in the near future!
• Feel free to comment. I encourage open discussion and welcome other opinions. I moderate comments because this blog has been attacked by hunters and right wing trolls. I approve comments that are critical as well as those which agree with me. Comments that I will not tolerate are those that are spam, threatening, disrespectful, or which promote animal abuse and cruelty